About EndNote Basic
EndNote is a citation organizer used to store references and display them in styles such as APA, MLA, and Chicago. References can be exported from databases into your EndNote account and arranged into groups (i.e., folders).
There are two main versions of EndNote:
- EndNote Basic - a FREE Web-based version, with fewer features than the desktop version.
- EndNote Desktop - This is a full-featured software version which must be purchased. Available in Mac and Windows versions. The company offers 30-day trials. It is not available on Rod Library computers.
There are two versions of EndNote Basic:
- One version is free to everyone and can be accessed from any computer. This version includes about 21 output styles to choose from.
- One version is free to users if their university subscribes to a related product, from the same company, called Web of Science. Rod LIbrary does subscribe to Web of Science. This version includes more output styles.
This comparison chart shows diffferences between the Desktop and Basic versions of EndNote. Since Rod Library subscribes to Web of Science, click the "I Have Web of Science" box to see the additional features available to UNI employees and students.
Note: Some EndNote documentation still refers to EndNote Basic by its old name, EndNote Web.
User Guides from EndNote
- A Getting Started Guide can be accessed from a link on the right side of the EndNote Basic screen.
- EndNote Basic (for Web of Science subscribers)
WebEx recording by EndNote trainer, 8/20/2014. About 80 minutes.
- EndNote Online Quick Reference Card
Covers all versions of EndNote online, including EndNote Basic AND Desktop version.
Register/Set Up Account
To set up your personal account in EndNote Basic:
- Go to Web of Science and click the EndNote link in the upper parrt of the screen.
- Click on the Register link on the next window and go through the requested steps.
- You will use your email address and the password you create to log on to your EndNote Basic account thereafter.
Note: If you already have a Web of Science personal account, that can be used for EndNote Basic.
An account in a somewhat scaled-down version of EndNote Basic, available for free to everyone, can be created at http://my.endnote.com.
Access Your EndNote Basic Account
After creating your personal EndNote Basic account:
1. Go to http://my.endnote.com and enter your email address and the EndNote password you created.
1. Go to Web of Science.
2. Click on the EndNote link at the top of the screen and enter your email address and the EndNote password you created.
You will need to access your account at least once a year from a UNI-connected computer to maintain access to the version of EndNote Basic associated with Web of Science. If more than a year passes since the last such access, your account will be switched to the totally free version of EndNote Basic. Accessing via UNI will restore your EndNote Basic account's association with Web of Science.