ScienceDirect ... Setting Your Search
- Open ScienceDirect here (or access via library website “Databases A-Z”)
- Click on the “Advanced Search” option which is found in the gray tool bar to the right of the search boxes.
- Change the search option “All Fields” to “Abstract, Title, Keywords”
- Remove the check from the box in front of “Books” … but leave the “Journals box checked.
- Set the date range to either “2004 to present” … or change to “2010 to present”
- Now search!
Research Guide for Water Research
ScienceDirect How-To (Handout)
Research vs Review
ScienceDirect is one of the few databases that will indicate whether an article is a research article (the type of article needed for this course - includes a methods section and a results section) or a review article (which simply gives an overview of many different research articles on a specific topic).
The following article is labeled an “Original Research Article.” On closer inspection one finds both a “Methods” section and a “Results” section. This is indeed a research article and the type of article needed for this class.
In contrast, the following article is labeled a “Review Article.” On closer inspection one finds that it has neither a “Methods” section nor a “Results” section. Though this article will provide a nice overview of other research concerning “climate change” and its effect on the ski industry – it is a review article - not a research article and thus not the type of article needed for this class.