Access to SciFinder Scholar is subject to the terms of the "SciFinder User Agreement." If you agree with these terms, click on "I Agree" at the bottom of this page to create a SciFinder Scholar username, password, and on SciFinder Sign-In portal for your campus computer.
All users of SciFinder Scholar should be aware that their sessions are being monitored by CAS (Chemical Abstracts Service).
SciFinder User Agreement
You certify to the following before you use SciFinder Scholar:
1) I am a current faculty or administrative staff member, or officially registered student of University;
2) I will use SciFinder Scholar only for my own academic research done in the course of pursuing my degree, or in instructing my students, or, in the course of my own research funded by the government or a non-profit foundation and intended for publication in the publicly available literature;
3) I will NOT use SciFinder Scholar for commercial research; for example, research that is done under a funding or consultant contract where the results are delivered to a for-profit organization, or for research that involves patentability searching. If I require SciFinder for commercial purposes, I will have the search done using a commercial account by contacting the librarian responsible for chemistry searches on campus, by contacting CAS and having them perform a search for me, or by acquiring and using the commercial SciFinder product;
4) I will use my search results in the ordinary course of academic research and acknowledge that I may store search results in electronic form, provided that at any one time, I store no more than 5,000 records. I may share search results in a limited, reasonable way with other University students or faculty working on the same project, but I will not aggregate my electronic search results with those of anyone else. I will delete stored records when I no longer need them for the relevant research project, or after the completion of my degree program, whichever occurs first. If I need to use search results beyond what is described here, I will contact my University Key Contact to discuss and to obtain CAS permission. I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I AM NOT PERMITTED TO DISTRIBUTE ANY CAS DATA OR SCIFINDER SCHOLAR, FOR COMMERCIAL GAIN OR OTHERWISE, OUTSIDE THE UNIVERSITY OR TO THIRD PARTIES.
5) I acknowledge that the University has entered into a license agreement with CAS to provide me with access to SciFinder Scholar, and that violation of the license by any user could result in a termination of the license for all users.
6) I will contact Chris Neuhaus (firstname.lastname@example.org or 273-3718) with any questions related to the use of SciFinder Scholar.
Please also note the following from “UNI Policies and Procedures”http://www.uni.edu/pres/policies/954.shtml
9.54 Use of Computer Resources
Unauthorized or inappropriate use of the University of Northern Iowa computing resources is prohibited and is grounds for sanctions which can include suspension or loss of computing privileges, disciplinary action or, in extreme cases, legal action. Users with access to University Computer Services may be held personally responsible for ANY use made of their authorization. "Authorization" refers to the computer account, transaction authorization, or any other means by which one gains access to any computer system.
Violating license agreements, copyrights or intellectual property rights. Violating contractual obligations of the University. (See UNI Policy Copyright-Protected Computer Materials).
Impairing, interrupting or inhibiting any other person's access to or use of resources except consequential to normal and acceptable use. (Examples include generating or spreading a virus, sending codes to lock another person's keyboard, making excessive noise, and inordinate consumption of resources, including network band-width).