Some figures (such as landscape maps) and wide tables may not fit well between the margins on a portrait page. These should be inserted on landscape pages.
1. You will need to create a section break at the end of the page before you wish to insert a landscape page and again at the bottom of the blank page that will be inserted when you do so. This will allow your document to alternate from portrait pages to landscapes pages and then back to portrait orientation. (Tip: turn on mark up to ensure they are placed correctly).
If you will have multiple landscape pages in a row, use page breaks at the end of each landscape page to keep the formatting but separate contents and a section break after the last landscape page.
2. Place your cursor between the section breaks and change the orientation (under layout) to landscape.
3. You will need to double check your margins. Note that due to the orientation they will be different. The top will now become the edge that is bound in the book and should be the largest margin.
Margins should be as follows:
1. Double click on the header of the landscape page. You will want to unlink it from the previous section. You will want to check that the page number for this section is formatted to "continue from previous". These actions will allow you to alter the position of the number on the landscape page without affecting the previous page and keep the page number consecutive.
2. You will repeat those two actions in the section after the landscape page. Double click in the header, unlink it from previous, and ensure it continues numbering from the previous section. This will allow the page numbers to continue consecutively without the formatting to adjust after the landscape page.
3. On the landscape page, click in the header. Under page number, select remove page number.
4. Under Insert - Page Number - Select Page Margin, Large Right
5. This will insert a large page number inside of a text box. You will format the text and the text box to obtain a properly placed page number.
1. Tables that are placed on landscape pages should not be any wider than 8.5 inches.
Notice: The example below is wider than the margins.
2. Right click and select table properties
3. Adjust the preferred width so it is no larger than 8.5 inches
4. The table will now fit within the margins. Adjust the font size (can go as small as 10-pt) or column widths (while still maintaining 8.5 inches overall) so content fits properly.