1. If you would like to collaborate with a librarian in the planning and/or designing of a research assignment, please contact your liaison librarian to schedule a meeting.
2. Request two weeks in advance to allow sufficient preparation time for librarians. Exceptions to this are at the discretion of the library liaison.
3. We will do our best to accommodate all requests; however, many factors influence our ability to meet requests such as space availability, class size, library faculty availability, etc. Please schedule early to ensure timing best fits your students’ needs.
4. Pair instruction with a specific research assignment. Library instruction promotes effective use of the library and other information resources. Library instruction prepares students to locate, use, and evaluate information resources. If there is no assignment, but you want students to receive an introduction to spaces and services, fill out the instruction request form and we will contact you.
5. Schedule instruction at a point in the semester when students are aware of the assignment requirements and have had time to consider what their focus might be. Typically, it’s best to hold the session as close as possible to the time students should be working on the assignment or when the assignment is due.
6. Attend the session with your students. We encourage instructors to be active during the library session. In addition to providing valuable insight, your presence encourages students to be engaged in the instruction and research experience.
7. Provide a copy of your syllabus and/or assignment(s) when requesting instruction. This information will help your librarian design appropriate resources and activities for your students.
Adapted from McNairy Library at Millersville University