A guide to finding secondary historical sources. Details on using JSTOR, OneSearch, Google Scholar and other search engines. How to order materials via interlibrary loan. How to determine if a journal is both peer-reviewed and well-regarded.
Locate secondary sources in books and history journals:
1. search for your topic using Advanced Search
2. limit your results to Publication Date 1985 - present
3. limit your results to either Books or Book Chapters*
4. or limit your results to Peer-reviewed Journals**
* Make sure your books are scholarly (include footnotes)
** Make sure your peer-reviewed journals are high quality "History" journals
check them against the History Journal Lists
Though the links above and below go to the Chicago quick guide - the full print Chicago Manual of Style is available for more complicated questions. These large print volumes can be found both at the Library Services Desk and in the Stacks.